The Fearless Heart Teleseminars, with Miki KashtanSee below for registration information.
Please note: You can join our Maestro Conference calls from outside the US. Info here.
THIS WEEK'S BLOG POST:
Ego, Mind, and Culture
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS for the November 26 Teleseminar 5:30 - 7:00 PST:
1. What are some of the associations you have with the concept of “ego?”
a. What do these associations tell you about your view of human nature?
b. What are some of your needs that are reflected in these associations?
2. Do you have beliefs that make the “mind” wrong in some ways that are similar to what is mentioned in the blog piece?
a. What are some of the negative elements that you connect with the idea of “mind?”
b. What are some of the human needs that those elements represent?
c. Do you perceive any obstacles to embracing those needs?
3. Any other insights or questions you would like to bring to the discussion on Tuesday?
Miki will be moderating this call.
WHEN: Every Tuesday, 5:30 - 7:00 pm Pacific Time.
WHAT: Join Miki to talk about the latest post on her blog, The Fearless Heart. Each Tuesday call will discuss the blog post dated the previous Thursday or Friday.
FOR WHOM: This drop-in seminar is open to all.
HOW: There are THREE STEPS to participate:
1. PAY HERE. We request $30 each time, on a purely gift economy basis (see below).
2. REGISTER FOR NOVEMBER & DECEMBER at the Maestro conference call site. You only need do this once FOR NOV-DEC.
3. READ the current week's blog post and the discussion questions for it, which will be posted above at about the same time the blog post goes up every week.
COURSE DESCRIPTION: This weekly course is based on closely following Miki's blog, The Fearless Heart, which blends theory, deep spiritual wisdom, vulnerable sharing of personal insights and experiences, radical vision, and practical tips for everyday living. Miki's interactive style of teaching focuses on the needs and interests of those who call in, whether they know her work well or are meeting it for the first time. When Miki is on a teaching tour, a trusted colleague may facilitate instead.
EACH SESSION of the telecourse is designed to include the following components:
• Support and coaching for participants in their own journey of living with a fearless heart
• Discussion of the ideas, questions, and sharing of insights
• Small group exploration (based on reflection questions provided ahead of time) of the significance of the ideas in people’s lives
• Practices and/or applications that participants can bring to their daily living
• Ideas for future topics for Miki to cover
RECORDINGS: All participants in a call will be emailed a link to the recording for that call. If you register and pay for a call but don't attend it, or pay for a past call (here, requested amount: $10), we will send you the recording link, but in addition to registering you will need to email us here requesting the link - we apologize that our system isn't able to alert us.
GIFT ECONOMY: We are aware that many of the people who are drawn to this work do not have access to financial resources. We want to make these seminars available to all who want them, and we also want to attend to our own needs for sustainability. So we are setting up registration on an honor system. You can join for free.
At the same time, we want you to know that $30 per participant on average is what would make it minimally sustainable for us. Knowing that many of those attending are likely to contribute a lot less, we ask that you contribute at least $30. If you are able to do so, please contribute more, even much more, to support us and those who are unable to do so. This is part of the vision of creating a world that works for all.
OTHER WAYS TO PAY: You can also mail a check, made payable to BayNVC, to
55 Santa Clara Avenue #203, Oakland, CA 94610.
Please write "Fearless Heart Teleseminars" in the memo line.
Or you can pay by credit card here. Please write "Fearless Heart Teleseminars" in the comment box.
CONTACT: Email us here
MIKI KASHTAN, certified NVC trainer, is a founder of Bay Area Nonviolent Communication and the North America Leadership Program. She is inspired by the role of visionary leadership in shaping a livable future, and works toward that vision by sharing the principles and practices of Nonviolent Communication through mediation, meeting facilitation, consulting, and training for organizations and for committed individuals. Miki blogs at the Fearless Heart. Her articles have appeared in Tikkun magazine, Waging Nonviolence, Shareable, and elsewhere. Her first book, Spinning Threads of Radical Aliveness: Transcending the Legacy of Separation in Our Individual Lives is due out in Fall 2013. She holds a Ph.D. in Sociology from UC Berkeley.