The Fearless Heart Teleseminars, with Miki KashtanOUT OF DATE PAGE. FOR THE CURRENT PAGE GO TO MIKI'S LATEST BLOGPOST AND CLICK THE TELESEMINAR LINK AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE.
See below for registration information.
Please note: You can join our Maestro Conference calls from outside the US. Info here.
THIS WEEK'S BLOG POST:
Myths of Power-With: #6 - Unilateral Choice Is always Negative
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS for the August 13 Teleseminar 5:30 - 7:00 PST:
In responding to the following questions, you are welcome to use the examples in the blog post or any of your own. Please attempt to respond both as the person in position of power and as the person who is affected by another’s choices.
1. To what extent do you personally see unilateral force as consistent with power-with, and to what extent you do see them as incompatible?
2. In the example you are choosing, focus first as the person in power (whether you were or were not, whether it’s an example of your own or one from the blog post).
a. How would you handle the specific situation or example?
b. What internal criteria would you use to evaluate your choice to use force unilaterally or not to do so? How would you arrive at a decision about how to act?
c. Whatever your choice was or would have been, in what ways do you see your choice as being aligned with your values? What purpose is served by your choice?
d. In what ways did or would your choice not be aligned with your values or serve the purpose at hand?
e. If you had chosen differently, how would you choice serve and not serve purpose, align or not align with your values?
3. In the example you are choosing, focus next as one of the people who are affected by a choice made by another person in power (whether you were or were not, whether it’s an example of your own or one from the blog post).
a. How were you affected by the choice made?
b. In what ways did that choice attend to any needs of yours? In what ways did it not?
c. In what ways did that choice serve others or a group of people as a whole? In what ways did it not?
4. If the situation you chose was real, and you were the person in power, how did looking at it from the perspective of someone else contribute to your understanding? Would this new perspective have changed your choice if you had it at the time?
5. If the situation was real and you were one of the people affected by the choice, how did looking at it from the perspective of the person with power who made the choice contribute to your understanding? Would this new perspective have affected your response to the choice at the time?
6. What are you learning overall from this exploration?
WHEN: Every Tuesday, 5:30 - 7:00 pm Pacific Time.
WHAT: Join Miki to talk about the latest post on her blog, The Fearless Heart. Each Tuesday call will discuss the blog post dated the previous Thursday or Friday.
FOR WHOM: This drop-in seminar is open to all.
HOW: There are THREE STEPS to participate:
1. PAY HERE. We request $30 each time: on the honor system, and also on a Gift Economy basis: see below for explanation, and other ways to pay.
2. REGISTER FOR AUGUST at the Maestro conference call site. You only need do this once per month, but for each new month, you will need to register again.
3. READ the current week's blog post and the discussion questions for it, which will be posted above at about the same time the blog post goes up every week.
COURSE DESCRIPTION: This weekly course is based on closely following Miki's blog, The Fearless Heart, which blends theory, deep spiritual wisdom, vulnerable sharing of personal insights and experiences, radical vision, and practical tips for everyday living. Miki's interactive style of teaching focuses on the needs and interests of those who call in, whether they know her work well or are meeting it for the first time. When Miki is on a teaching tour, a trusted colleague may facilitate instead.
EACH SESSION of the telecourse is designed to include the following components:
• Support and coaching for participants in their own journey of living with a fearless heart
• Discussion of the ideas, questions, and sharing of insights
• Small group exploration (based on reflection questions provided ahead of time) of the significance of the ideas in people’s lives
• Practices and/or applications that participants can bring to their daily living
• Ideas for future topics for Miki to cover
RECORDINGS: All participants in a call will be emailed a link to the recording for that call. If you register and pay for a call but don't attend it, or pay for a past call (here, requested amount: $10), we will send you the recording link, but in addition to registering you will need to email us here requesting the link - we apologize that our system isn't able to alert us.
GIFT ECONOMY: We are aware that many of the people who are drawn to this work do not have access to financial resources. We want to make these seminars available to all who want them, and we also want to attend to our own needs for sustainability. So we are setting up registration on an honor system. You can join for free.
At the same time, we want you to know that $30 per participant on average is what would make it minimally sustainable for us. Knowing that many of those attending are likely to contribute a lot less, we ask that you contribute at least $30. If you are able to do so, please contribute more, even much more, to support us and those who are unable to do so. This is part of the vision of creating a world that works for all.
OTHER WAYS TO PAY: You can also mail a check, made payable to BayNVC, to
55 Santa Clara Avenue #203, Oakland, CA 94610.
Please write "Fearless Heart Teleseminars" in the memo line.
Or you can pay by credit card here. Please write "Fearless Heart Teleseminars" in the comment box.
CONTACT: Email us here
MIKI KASHTAN, certified NVC trainer, is a founder of Bay Area Nonviolent Communication and the North America Leadership Program. She is inspired by the role of visionary leadership in shaping a livable future, and works toward that vision by sharing the principles and practices of Nonviolent Communication through mediation, meeting facilitation, consulting, and training for organizations and for committed individuals. Miki blogs at the Fearless Heart. Her articles have appeared in Tikkun magazine, Waging Nonviolence, Shareable, and elsewhere.