About Nonviolent Communication (NVC)
NVC can dramatically improve
our relationships by helping us focus our attention on
1) Empathic understanding of others without compromising our own
2) Expressing our real feelings and
needs openly and honestly, yet without blame or criticism.
NVC delineates four components
1) Observations free of
2) Feelings straight from the
3) Needs, values and longings; and
4) Requests expressed clearly in positive action
Together these tools help create the kind of dialogue
that can foster resolutions satisfying for everyone without painful sacrifice.
Even in situations of longstanding conflict or hostility, the NVC process can open new doors to
compassionate connection and action.
Learning NVC is Learning to:
- Build relationships based on compassion and
- Accurately understand other people's feelings and
- Be assertive and negotiable at the same time
- Break patterns of thinking that lead to anger and